Saturday 20 December 2008

Calendar Girl

Yesterday we had a full on day. I painted the last coat of the entrance hallway ceiling as well as the scotia. Maybe needs a few bits touched up again as it's quite hard to cover brown paper with no traces coming through. After lunch Wouter sanded the walls by hand as using a machine would just chew through the walls and make far too much mess. I decided to paint the kitchen windows to step a bit closer to finishing the kitchen - Wouter removed them from their hinges and I painted outside under the verandah as the day was reasonably warm - I later moved inside to paint some wooden mouldings and moved the windows in as well as the weather turned cold.

About then it was time to take Cassy for his afternoon walk as he'd been in since lunchtime - keeping me company while listening to Pavarotti, Katherine Jenkins, French Cafe and Frida. So I went to the laundry to get our gear - leash and garden shoes - and was singing away and talking to Cassy. Welsh people are either always singing or talking to themselves - I happen to do both as I can multitask very well.


So still singing and walking back to get my jacket, hat, gloves and gilet de chasse (hunting sleeveless jacket) there were standing on our verandah two hunky sapeurs pompiers (firemen) who caught me off guard and I felt like I was in a bit of a dream as they didn't appear to be doing anything in particular. So I said hello and they told me that they were dealing with my husband.... ok. When I headed out for my walk they gave me a wave and headed off in their little Fiat - I'm sure two guys with that many muscles couldn't possibly fit side by side into a fiat properly.

On my return Wouter told me that they were fund-raising and a calendar could be had for a donation - so Wouter said "my wife will like that" - I have no idea what he meant (ha ha ha). But when I checked out the calendar, it was nothing to do with helmets, hoses or overall straps strategically placed over muscly chests and the like, but pictures of them out working. At least we don't have to worry about where to hang the calendar next year..... Have you noticed how the young muscly ones always seem to get the job of selling the calendars and asking for donations?

No comments: